Kernel source packages..

Can anyone shed any light on the differences between the
various kernel source packages in the repository, and which is
the best choice for just being able to reproduce the running kernel?

The example in my Martin Kraft book refers to:
	apt-get install kernel-source-2.6.8
but I can't find a 'kernel-source-anything'..

The docs on debian.org suggest
	apt-get install linux-source-2.6

but looking in the repository I also see
	linux-source
as well as
	linux-tree-2.6.18-n
where n is a number between 1 and 8, and there are also
	linux-tree-2.6.18.dfag.1-n
where n is 9-19, some with 'etch' followed by a digit appaended.

The above are all 'v' packages. There is also
	linux-source-2.6.18
and
	linux-tree-2.6.18
which are actual packages.
Can anyone explain what the reasonaing is behind this organization?

Thanks,
DigbyT