Re: euro sign / nobreak space

On Sunday 13 April 2008 16:03, Manon Metten wrote:
> Hi Nigel,
>
> Well I tried adding the € to the 5 key on my Etch install, which only has
>
> > the
> > original US keyboard layout. The only box I checked in xkb options was
> > the "Add the EuroSign to the 5 key" one, and ALT-GR plus 5 now gives me
> > the € char.  The command shows:  setxkbmap -option eurosign:5
>
> I did the same, but it just don't work.
>

> Later on I checked the box "Space key output nobreakspace at third level".
>
> > tried ALT-GR plus space in Gedit, and Kwrite, and that still makes a
> > space,
> > but in KDE's Konsole ALT-GR plus space results in no visible space, but a
> > continual string of characters, so it appears to be working, but what
> > it's used for, I have no idea. Perhaps someone would tell me.
>
> I use the nobreakspace char instead of the <br /> tag in html code. Gives a
> much cleaner text.
>

> The command now shows: setxkbmap -option eurosign:5,nbsp:level3
>

> Strange, my output of the same command shows nothing.
>

> Thanks, Manon.

Hi Manon. I had another go at this problem of yours, and after playing about
with the "Compose Key Position" section lost access to the € character on key
5, which was working with ALT-GR plus 5. Then I unchecked all boxes, and
clicked apply, then clicked defaults, then logged out, and back in to KDE.

So starting from the top, I check "Enable xkb options", then scroll down to
"Adding the EuroSign to certain keys" section. Check the "Add the EuroSign to
the 5 key" box, click apply, and then open gedit. Now I try ALT-GR plus 5,
but nothing. Thinking back to when I first tried this, first of all I checked
a box in the "Third level choosers" section, which was the "Press Right Alt
key to choose 3rd level, Shift+Right Alt key is Multi_Key", so now I check
this box again, and click apply.

Now the € character appears in Gedit when doing an ALT-GR plus 5. Now if I
uncheck the box above, and click apply, the only box now checked is the "Add
the EuroSign to the 5 key" one, and ALT-GR plus 5 still shows me a €
character in Gedit. I hope you are following me on what I had to do to get
the € character showing in Gedit/Kwrite.

There does though seem to be a problem when checking boxes in the "Compose Key
Position" section of xkb options. I lost access to the € character. All I got
were beeps from the pc speaker, and no € character displayed in Gedit.

I suggest unchecking all boxes on the "Enable xkb options" page, click on
"apply", then on "default", then logout, and login to KDE.

Having logged back in, check "Enable xkb options" box, and scroll down to the
"Third level choosers" section, then check the "Press Right Alt key to choose
3rd level, Shift+Right Alt key is Multi_Key." box.

Scroll down a bit more to "Adding the EuroSign to certain keys" section, and
check the "Add the EuroSign to the 5 key." box. Click apply. Open Gedit, or
Kwrite, and try ALT-GR plus 5. This works for me, and I get the € character
displayed in the text editor.

I don't know about the "Compose Key Position" section though, as I lost access
to the € character, when checking any of the boxes here.

All the best.

Nigel.