Re: Odd problem - Windows not seeing files from linux on a FAT32 partition?

On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 10:48:48PM -0400,  Kevin C. Redden wrote:
> /dev/hdb1	/mnt/bridge	vfat  rw,auto,user,exec,sync,utf8,umask=0,gid=users 0 1
> I can see, access and save any file from a *normal*
> linux account without a problem. However if I try to get to them from
> Windows, they don't show up.
> Now if I save a file *from* Windows on that partition, linux has no
> problems.

I would check the vfat filesystem on hdb1 both from linux (dosftools)
and from windows. And then check again. And then I would try various
kinds of (possibly decent) filemanagers in windows instead of the
default one.  And then ask to expert windows users, the kind of users
who cannot live without the command line, sysinternals utilities,
reading official and unofficial documentation, and so on (I know, there
are _fewer_ expert windows users than expert *nix users).

vfat has NO way of storing owner and permissions, so I would not expect
a difference between root and not root.