Help with upgrading

I have recently carried out a dist-upgrade on a long time running i386 debian machine. Somehow the new distro changed its device naming from hda1 to sda1 and now my ide attached harddisk fails to boot! Booting it will only take me as far as raminitd (or something to that effect which i can't remember exactly). I managed to edit the grub entry to become sda1 and it booted all the way to login prompt and I am stuck. There is no other partition which I've made like /usr, /home, /var, etc. So I have no way of editing my /etc/mount since there isn't such file nor is there an editor i can use.

So can anyone tell me how to convert the rest of my hda2, hda5 ... 9 to sda2, sda5 ... 9 respectively, to get my system properly back up online again. Thanks.

A truly debian believer,
Wilson