Re: browsers have become memory hogs

On Thu, April 10, 2008 12:45 pm, Ron Johnson wrote:
> I don't see how a single process could use 95% of memory on a 32-bit
> system.

    I can.  FF2.x was just painful on my laptop.  It only has 256Mb and what
i used to be able to do just a few years ago (Firefox, Thunderbird and
gaim ne pidgin all open until the machine rebooted) I can barely manage
for an hour or two now.  FF3 has helped but I'm finding that it and
XFCE4 are the primary hogs of memory.

    After a fresh login I'll have about 40-50Mb used, 0 swap.  After a few
hours of FF2.x I'd be maxed on memory and pushing 2/3rds of my 256Mb of
swap.  Close FF and most of the memory and swap go away.  FF3 doesn't
get that high but it still pushes my machine into swap without much
trouble.  What really gets me is after 2-3 days logged in I'll exit
TBird, FF3 and Pidgin and be right back where I was when I logged in.
Just XFCE4 loaded.  70-80Mb used, another 30-50Mb in the swap.  I log
out of XFCE4, log back in, 40-50Mb used, 0 swap.  :/

--
Steve Lamb