Re: Why Installing php and pecl so difficult in Debian?

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 22:10:33 +1000, hce (webmail.hce@gmail.com) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I thought PHP is very common now days, but I found so difficult to
> install it in debian. The apt-get install can't find any php, pecl,
> php-xml packages.
>
> So, I have to downloaded php5_5.2.0-8+etch10_all.deb,
> php5-common_5.2.0-8+etch10_i386.deb and
> php5-cgi_5.2.0-8+etch10_i386.deb manually and installed them by dkpg.
> It installed php5-cgi, but on php binary in /usr/bin.
>
> People helped me to find dh-make-php - Creates Debian source packages
> for PHP PEAR and PECL extensions. Is it a right package for PHP5
> extension?
>
> How can I install all  php extensions by using apt-get?

Don't know about pecl, but there are lots of php related packages:

bob@trantor:~$ aptitude search php | wc -l
250

including these specifically xml related:

bob@trantor:~$ aptitude search php | grep xml
p   php-xml-htmlsax3                - SAX parser for HTML and other badly formed
p   php-xml-parser                  - PHP PEAR module for parsing XML
p   php-xml-rss                     - RSS parser
p   php-xml-serializer              - swiss-army knife for reading and writing X
p   php-xml-util                    - a XML utility for php-pear
p   php4-domxml                     - XMLv2 module for php4
p   php5-xmlrpc                     - XML-RPC module for php5
p   phpgroupware-xmlrpc             - phpGroupWare XMLRPC module

An apt-cache search would produce the same results presumably.

--
Bob Cox.  Stoke Gifford, near Bristol, UK.