Re: Installing Madwifi (atheros drivers) into Debian Etch.

Till Wimmer <news-dfn@substring.ch> writes:

> James Allsopp wrote:
>> Just been following the instructions to install the madwifi driver,
>> but it doesn't compile on the final step. Does anyone have any
>> suggestions? I'm very new to debian, but experienced with Linux. If
>> anyone needs more information, please ask!

> I use madwifi on my laptop with Etch for a while. I just used
> module-assistant for downloading the needed packages and everything
> worked fine... Maybe you have the wrong gcc installed? maybe there's a
> problem with gcc4 and you should try gcc3.x or the other way round.

I think you have to use gcc4. This is what I did to get madwifi onto my
thinkpad:

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Installing_Debian_Etch_on_a_ThinkPad_R60#Wireless

I started with Etch, but I did the exact same thing last week with the
latest Lenny kernel, and it worked as expected.

Tyler

                                       --Mark Twain