Problems installing debian on Dell 530 with unrecognized NIC

I need to get advice / help on how to best go about installing debian on a Dell 530 Intel Core 2 Quad-core machine for which the debian installer does not recognize the Intel 82562V-2 Network Interface Card.

A couple questions:

1. Should I be using i386 or amd64 for this machine, to take best advantage of the 4 cores and the 8 Gb of RAM I have in the machine?

2. How can I get the NIC to be recognized?  I've seen many postings on the net saying to download Intel's e1000 driver and install that.  However, at first my install had no compiler tools - based on doing a netinstall of 40r3 and proceeding with no NIC.  Some of the postings said to use the unstable 2.6.24... version, which had the drivers included, but I can't seem to find where to get that.  So, I burned the first stable 40r3 DVD and installed from that, but now I don't have development tools for the kernel / modules.  I'm currently burning the other DVDs, and am hoping then I'll have all the resources I need to install the driver, but it seems that there must be a much easier way to do this...!

Thanks in advance for your help and pointers.

Dan