Re: face headers on mail to the list

On Tue, 8 Apr 2008 21:41:37 -0400
"Douglas A. Tutty" <dtutty@porchlight.ca> wrote:

Hello Douglas,

> Well, the Face header is one long unwrapped line and it is gibberish
> in mutt.  Luckily, there's "ignore Face" in my ~/.muttrc, but I still

Yes, it has to be decoded to be viewable, and has to be one line.
<EOL> is treated as the end of file for the decoder.

> However, if we go with the question "if everybody did it", then what
> proportion of bandwidth for debian list would be taken up with "Face"
> headers.  Would this be significant for someone downloading over a
> slow (or very slow) link.  Right now I'm on dialup at about 2 KB/s

Possibly, it would, yes.  However, as Manoj has pointed out, people
that don't trim posts they're replying to are also guilty of wasting
bandwidth.  I try to be careful about what I post, trimming and the
such-like (no HTML from here) as it's not that long ago I was on dial-up
myself.  Although, even then, I had a Face header in my messages.

In any case, if "everybody did it", I'd stop.  If only because I prefer
to be 'different' from everybody else.  In so far as I can, of course.

--
 Regards  _

Well you tried it just the once and found it alright for kicks
Orgasm Addict - Buzzcocks