Re: Upgrading from linux-image-2.6.18-686 to linux-image-2.6.24-686 breaks on AMD Geode LX CPU

On Tuesday 08 April 2008 21:12:40 Paul Richards wrote:
> Hi,
> I recently upgraded from etch to lenny and in the process my kernel
> was upgraded from linux-image-2.6.18-686 to linux-image-2.6.24-686.
> This new kernel crashes immediately after being uncompressed on boot,
> and I have been forced to use the "486" build of the kernel if I want
> 2.6.24.
>
> This AMD Geode LX processor has always executed 686 kernels in the
> past.  Have I previously just been lucky or is this a bug in 2.6.24?
>
> This was the only problem I encountered during the etch to lenny
> upgrade, so congratulations to everyone involved!
>
> Below is my /proc/cpuinfo.
>
> pauldoo@sandstrom:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
> processor       : 0
> vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
> cpu family      : 5
> model           : 10
> model name      : Geode(TM) Integrated Processor by AMD PCS
> stepping        : 2
> cpu MHz         : 498.066
> cache size      : 128 KB
> fdiv_bug        : no
> hlt_bug         : no
> f00f_bug        : no
> coma_bug        : no
> fpu             : yes
> fpu_exception   : yes
> cpuid level     : 1
> wp              : yes
> flags           : fpu de pse tsc msr cx8 sep pge cmov clflush mmx
> mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow
> bogomips        : 997.66
> clflush size    : 32
>

> --
> Paul Richards

I think a bug should be reported again d-i. If one choose to install lvm, and
let d-i choose the partition, when you select to have home, tmp, usr and var
in separated partition, it gives a too small partition for root. Then, when
there is an update of the kernel, or ia32-libs, at least, you get this
problem. I had that on the last two install I made. Fortunately, with lvm,
you can change the partition size, but it's not an easy process.
Thierry