Upgrading from linux-image-2.6.18-686 to linux-image-2.6.24-686 breaks on AMD Geode LX CPU

I recently upgraded from etch to lenny and in the process my kernel
was upgraded from linux-image-2.6.18-686 to linux-image-2.6.24-686.
This new kernel crashes immediately after being uncompressed on boot,
and I have been forced to use the "486" build of the kernel if I want

This AMD Geode LX processor has always executed 686 kernels in the
past.  Have I previously just been lucky or is this a bug in 2.6.24?

This was the only problem I encountered during the etch to lenny
upgrade, so congratulations to everyone involved!

Below is my /proc/cpuinfo.

pauldoo@sandstrom:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 5
model           : 10
model name      : Geode(TM) Integrated Processor by AMD PCS
stepping        : 2
cpu MHz         : 498.066
cache size      : 128 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu de pse tsc msr cx8 sep pge cmov clflush mmx
mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow
bogomips        : 997.66
clflush size    : 32

Paul Richards