Re: pon oddities - pop-up windows from ip-up.local, pppstatus

On Tue, Apr 08, 2008 at 11:34:33PM -0400, A. F. Cano wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 08, 2008 at 02:06:14PM +1000, Charlie wrote:
> > $ /usr/bin/X11/xhost +
> Yes, I had done that.
> > Then as root in a terminal:
> > # export DISPLAY=:0.0 <your user name here>
> This was the missing piece!  I was missing the user name.

Nice that this problem is solved. But I do not understand why so many
use "xhost" in a insecure way instead of correctly setting DISPLAY and
XAUTHORITY (or using "xauth" or "sux" and so on), as clearly explained in

/usr/share/doc/xfree86-common/FAQ.gz
section "How do I run an X client as root when the X session is run by a user?"

(this is the placement in sarge, I have not checked where the FAQ is now)