Re: pon oddities - pop-up windows from ip-up.local, pppstatus

On Tue, Apr 08, 2008 at 02:06:14PM +1000, Charlie wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Apr 2008, A. F. Cano shared this with us all:
> >--} I've also tried without su.  The result is the same:
> >--}
> >--} konsole: cannot connect to X server
> >--}
> >--} And this is even after I've typed
> >--}
> >--} xhost +
> >--}
> >--} from a regular user console.
>
> You may need to do the following:
>
> As user in a terminal:
>
> $ /usr/bin/X11/xhost +

Yes, I had done that.

> Then as root in a terminal:
>
> # export DISPLAY=:0.0 <your user name here>

This was the missing piece!  I was missing the user name.
I actually included this in ip-up.local and it worked.
Now the windows appear.  Thank you!

The only remaining problem is that pppstatus somehow seems to have lost
access to the ppp link.  It says the link is not connected/off.
This does not happen if ip-up.local is not present/run and I run
pppstatus manually from a user-level konsole.

Any ideas out there? anyone?

A.