Re: debian-user-digest Digest V2008 #701

On 08/04/2008, El Amigo De La Playa <tropicalswim@gmail.com> wrote:
>I personally prefer "reply to list" myself for other reasons, but I
couldn't fault his logic.

Thanks, Chris, for your tip... While I am posting here, I am curious to know the routine of Gmail users receiving their mailing lists on their regular web browsers. (This is how I read my mail too). I usually hit "answer to all"... Maybe there's a better way ?

  I use 'Reply to all' and simply cut/paste the list adress from the 'Cc:' to the 'To:' field to avoid sending off-list replies.

> A: If you want to have a secure (and stable) server you are strongly
encouraged to stay with stable. However, there is some limited security
support for testing:

Good read ! I must say I was not aware ! (that shows me my ignorance ;o) )... Anyway, apart from my main desktop and my PPC laptop, which are both running Testing, all other PC's are on Stable... But I really enjoy learning a bit more everyday, thanks Chris !

  The releases may not be as often as some other distros but when debian says 'stable' it means it.
  For reference I use testing for my mythtv box but stable on my fileserver (or at least did before they became one).
  The options of unstable (sid) -> testing (lenny) -> stable (etch) can be summed up as:
-> Bleeding Edge (latest and greatest, but has a highy risk of breaking)
-> Forefront (may break, but shouldn't)
-> Vanguarde (if it breaks, it is probably a case of PEBKAC)

  Check http://www.us.debian.org/releases for details. There there are links to the security team FAQ which describes their approach to security in the various releases.

> What should you report?

In short: Everything which could have a noticable impact on the Debian
Project or its user base.

-Can we just send articles about our use of Debian, or views, opinion etc... ?

El Amigo, the tropical Debianista :o)

  If replying to digests please rewrite the subject line to something more meaningful than 're: Digest'. Replying to digests breaks threading in most (all?) viewers so even with the quoted portions it is difficult to place where this is from when it is in isolation.

cheers,
Owen.