Re: Palm not being identified (no ttyUSB* being created)

On 04/07/2008 10:35 PM, Chris Howie wrote:
Folks:

A few days ago my Palm (Tungsten T) was syncing just fine using
gnome-pilot, and today it simply will not.  I've tried a myriad of
things, from rebooting Linux to soft resetting the device to poking
around with udev to trying it on other boxes to ...

I *think* I did an aptitude upgrade recently, but I cannot recall.  I
*know* I did on my laptop, and it fails there too.  (Both are running
Lenny.)

If I install Palm Desktop on Windows on my desktop (dual-boot) it
syncs fine, so all of the hardware appears to be okay.  dmesg/syslog
don't show anything out of the ordinary, I just don't get a
/dev/ttyUSB* node.  usbserial isn't loaded into the kernel either,
which makes me think that the root cause is the kernel failing to
properly identify what the device is.  lsusb shows all of the device
information as I'd expect.

The Palm just sits on the HotSync screen, presumably waiting for the
computer to talk to it.  dmesg shows a connect when I start the sync,
and a disconnect when I cancel, as expected.

I've attached various pieces of log files:

dmesg.txt - Two connect/disconnects showing in dmesg.
lsusb.txt - `lsusb -v` trimmed to show only the Palm.
udevmonitor.txt - One connect/disconnect while running udevmonitor.

Tips are very appreciated; I have a few files I need to install on it soon.

I'm having problems syncing my Palm TX. I started using kernel 2.6.24 (under Etch), and I see that the 'visor' module is no longer loaded automatically when I hit the hotsync button.

I load it manually using "modprobe visor" , yet no communication happens.

My only advice would be to manually load visor, since your dmesg.txt doesn't show it being loaded.