phpBB

I'm using Debian Etch and am trying to install phpBB using the standard package manager.
phpBB needs a database, and I already have other apps on the machine that use a MySQL server on another machine on the same LAN. So I expect that phpBB will be able to use the remote MySQL server as well.
But when I try to install from the Debian package, it can't.
It brings up a dialog box,'If you have not yet created a database and want to do so now, choose "Create".' (with some other options). I pick that, and it asks me for the root password for the database, but it doesn't ask me which host the MySQL server is running on, so not surprisingly, it fails.
The phpBB package seems to assume that the database server will always run on localhost, which is a really bad assumption. If you have a LAN (and who doesn't?), obviously you will want to run the MySQL server on just one machine and let all the others use it.

Is it possible to fix this problem manually while still using the Debian package?