Re: An Mplayer question

On 04/07/2008 12:42 PM, Walt L. Williams wrote:
Greetings all

I used Mplayer on the SuSE(10) system I used to use
to play mpg and avi movies. On my former system I merely had to do the install it and it was ready to use. Mplayer on Debian (etch) seems to be broken. What must I do to get Mplayer working on Debian? It gives me to following error:

Error opening/initializing the selected video_out (-vo) device

Any suggestions on how to correct this?

Go into Mplayer's preferences dialog and select Video-> Available drivers. Select a video driver that you are confident works, e.g. X11 (if you're running under XFree86 or Xorg).

Experiment with the other video output devices if you want possible better performance.