Re: [Somewhat More OT] Closed source software Was [Re: Hmmm. A question. Was [Re: Debian is losing its users]]

On Sun, Apr 06, 2008 at 09:19:24PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 04/06/08 19:11, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> > On Sat, Apr 05, 2008 at 08:04:04PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> >
> >> Totally ACK!  This is the kind of situation that inflames my
> >> crotchetiness gland and impels me to pull out my cane and ear horn.
> >
> > Yeah, when you were a student, you did the same thing with a carrier
> > pidgeon, carrying a role of punched paper tape. :)  Or was it morse code
> > over the prof's car radio?
>
> Nah.  I made friends with a guy who had an Apple ][ and a SmartModem
> 300.

I remember upgrading my C-64's 300 baud modem to a 1200baud one. That
was so cool. No more typing faster than the modem... I used to "chat"
with my friends using terminal programs we'd written ourselves
complete with xmodem protocol all written in c-64 basic. (I even had a
rudimentary scripting language built-in to mine to allow scripting the
handshake/login procedures at various bulletin boards. ) I don't know
why we didn't just call each other. It would have been so much
easier... geeks.