Re: What are these folders in home?

On Fri, Apr 04, 2008 at 10:56:11PM +0300, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 04/04/2008, Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Just move all the $HOME stuff out of the way, and see what happens.  If
> >  you see that something important is gone, file movement is
> >  reversible :).
>
> Important stuff like .kde I knew not to touch, but the ones that I did
> not know about I asked here. Simply erasing things was not my only
> intention, I also wanted to learn more about the system, so I probably
> should have stated that.
>
> I still don't know what these are, if someone can enlighten me:
>
> ~/.mcop/

That's a kde thing. I think it has to do with interprocess
communication and control, where you can control running kde apps from
a command line. not sure though.

> ~/.wapi/ (from gooling this seems to be a Mac folder?!?)

looks like it might be a mono thing.

> ~/.crash_report_checksum
> ~/.crash_report_frames
> ~/.crash_report_preview

don't know *3

> ~/.dmrc (something to do with Compiz?)

has to do with desktop managers in general. Your *dm should create it
when you select a default session.

> ~/.esd_auth (it seems to be binary)

enlightened sound daemon. do you run esd?

> ~/.ICEauthority

X Inter-Client-Exchange library authority file.

> ~/.msoprc

the only reference to msoprc I find points to this thread ;)

It's obviously the rc file for some program...

I found most of these in just a few minutes of googling... But I
know that's often a matter of hitting just the right combinations.