Re: backup script changes permissions

Kevin Mark <kevin.mark@verizon.net> writes:

> On Sun, Apr 06, 2008 at 07:28:51AM -0400, Haines Brown wrote:
>> I'be brought up my backup script for discussion before, and folks where
>> helpful in solving a problem, but the solution created another. Now all
>> files backed up have their ownerships changed to me, brownh:brownh.

> I did:
> cpio --help
>
> and the only thing that stuck out was this option:
>  --no-preserve-owner    Do not change the ownership of the files
>
> so maybe add this and use:
> cpio -pdmuv --no-preserve-owner

I'll give that a try. The logic of the option escaped me. It says,
"leave [files] owned by the user extracting them. This is the default of
non-root users".

In the past, if I ran my backup script as root (sudo), I didn't have
ownership change, and when cron ran it there was no change either,
although I did have other problems, which is why I messed with the
script. It had been running for years without any problem, until I
upgraded to etch.

I assume the "user" here is cron, but then does not this option say
leave the files owned by cron? Made no sense to me. Didn't sound like it
was something I wanted to do.
--

       Haines Brown, KB1GRM