Re: [Totally OT] Re: Hmmm. A question. Was [Re: Debian is losing its users]

On Saturday 05 April 2008, Nate Duehr wrote:
> On Apr 5, 2008, at 8:56 PM, Charlie wrote:
> > I suppose by that standard you imagine that children have no worth
> > at all? I
> > can't really agree. As one who was a child once, I think children
> > are an
> > extremely valuable asset to a species in the now as well as the
> > future.
>
> I never said anything of the sort.  I said that as a society we
> reward parents for having children, and it's odd.  If their values
> are to have a "big family" that's fine, but government encouraging it
> is a different thing.  Not necessarily bad, just not real "obvious"
> to the majority that have children.

I was debating to respond earlier, but I thought I'd wait.

If you're talking about taxes in terms of rewards, as you said
initially, compare how much the deduction for a child is or how much is
added on to the refunds we'll get this year to how much it costs to
take care of a child for one year.  It's about as much of a reward as
someone paying me $5 to spend a month doing some tough coding that
keeps me up day and night.

Hal