Re: [Totally OT] Re: Hmmm. A question. Was [Re: Debian is losing its users]

On Apr 5, 2008, at 8:56 PM, Charlie wrote:

I suppose by that standard you imagine that children have no worth at all? I can't really agree. As one who was a child once, I think children are an extremely valuable asset to a species in the now as well as the future.

I never said anything of the sort. I said that as a society we reward parents for having children, and it's odd. If their values are to have a "big family" that's fine, but government encouraging it is a different thing. Not necessarily bad, just not real "obvious" to the majority that have children.

So I assume that government feels the same way and is willing to ensure that
people keep having children?

Perhaps. Or perhaps they are scared to piss off the majority and say, "You can pay your fair share -- the people without children shouldn't be paying more."

Neanderthal man had children because of sex drive, modern families often want things other than children because their sex drive can be satisfied without
the obvious result. It is a choice, so each must make their own.

Yep. Personal decisions. Get the government out of the macro- economics of it.

Interesting, and there will always be controversy and views in both
directions.

Yep. I just speak mine when I get a chance, because I'm an adult in the vast minority on this topic. No offense meant to people who have chosen to be parents. (I don't say "haven't chosen" because well frankly, the vast majority choose to have sex, and can take responsibility for the results.)

--
Nate Duehr
nate@natetech.com