Re: [Not So Horrendously OT] Psychology, Economics and Debian Was[Re: Hmmm. A question. Was [Re: Debian is losing its users]]

Yes, but if he/she is evr going to get themselves to any level of
existence higher than street level, they'll need to pay attention to
concepts such as self actualisation/realisation in order to do so.
Essential aspects to be implemented within the survival process.

  Psychology *is* a
>science, in
>>that the scientific method is used on the experimental side, at
>least.

The scientific 'method' goes through the throes of change every bit
as much as any other aspect of science and is not limited to the
'experimental side'.
Any healthy scientific process is no more than a reflection of the
natural condition and is lived within far outside the paradigm of the
laboratory environment.

>>Why is this not so off topic?  Well, psychology and economics are
>two factors
>>that affect what any person chooses to "buy".  I will explain this
>in a minute.

No need.
Obviously we buy for a number of emotive reasons and this is
qualified by the economic factor.

<snip>

>>Now, how can you "buy" something that is "free" like Debian?  Well,
>it has real
>>costs associated with it - the price (if you buy it pre-burned, or
>>pre-installed), the cost of the bandwidth if you download it (plus
>the cost of
>>the CD/DVDs - just the bandwidth if you choose a Netinstall.  In
>addition, all
>>operating systems have different capabilities and different pitfalls
>(i.e. they
>>may work very well on some systems, but not so well or not at all on
>others).
>>
>>In the end, it is a matter of choice, based on costs (perceived and
>real) and
>>benefits (also perceived and real).  These perceptions are based
>upon our
>>imperfect interpretation of how our brains filter sensory data, and
>upon our
>>imperfect cognition.

Which varies with the individual, but within the crowd certain common
factors will emerge.

I 'buy' Debian for the opportunity of working at something in an
environment where my efforts are not going to be demeaned by having a
monetary value placed on them, for example.
The cost of the CD doesn't even attain the status of incidental.
I'd 'buy' it if it cost $50.00.

Now don't any of you distributors go getting any ideas, now!

  <snip>

  The real question is:
>How can we
>>maximize the benefits of Debian, for both current and future users,
>and get
>>them to perceive these increased benefits as such?

I have given one example of marketplace value.
There are others and where the demand is seen to be required by that
market, Debian will 'sell'.
Regards,

David Palmer.