Re: [Somewhat More OT] Closed source software Was [Re: Hmmm. A question. Was [Re: Debian is losing its users]]

Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
On Sat, Apr 05, 2008 at 03:57:27PM -0500, Mark Allums wrote:
I would really like it if this list were like all others I am on/have ever been on, and used the reply-to field.

I wish that they would set it up to be like this:

    From: the poster of the message
  Sender: debian-user-bounces@lists.debian.org
      To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
      CC: other lists (crosspost)
     BCC: other recipients

I will try to do better in the future.

I have seen direct evidence of the problem inherent in reply-to
munging. We had a student reply to an email thinking she was replying
only to the instructor and instead sent her tearful sounding pleas to
the entire class list. Not cool. Much better to err on the side of
sending mail to fewer people than the opposite.

In that case, be prepared to receive lots more broken threads.  And not
just from me.  From every newcomer who's ever been on a list before.
Really, every other mailing list I participate in now, or in the past,
does it that way.  The Debian lists are the exception, not the rule.

The student got a crash course in email settings.  It's tough.  That's
life.

--
Mark Allums