Re: [Totally OT] Re: Hmmm. A question. Was [Re: Debian is losing its users]

On Fri, Apr 04, 2008 at 11:42:47AM -0400, Hal Vaughan wrote:
> On Friday 04 April 2008, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> > On Fri, Apr 04, 2008 at 10:04:46AM +0200, Ivan Savcic wrote:
> > > AFAIK, RMS considers only one distribution to be really and truly
> > > free -- it's the Gentoo based Ututo[1]. He talked about this in his
> > > talk he held in Belgrade, Serbia.
> >
> > I have a problem with this. Debian, in it's default install is almost
> > assuredly GNU free. And it has the additional freedom of allowing the
> > user to choose to use non-free software within the structure of it's
> > packaging system. IMO that is more free than preventing people from
> > using the software they want.
> >
> > .02
>
> Another interesting note, from the same RMS talk.  Someone pointed out
> that people had the freedom to choose so they should be able to choose
> non-free if they want.  His response?  A person never has the choice to
> be a slave.

yeah, this is where RMS loses me. Don't get me wrong, I have immense
respect for him and the work he does. But these kinds of statements
are really difficult.

I mean, I can think for a while and get what he's saying (I think): if
a person is in a position where the only choice is to become a slave
then they have not actually chosen to be a slave, but have merely been
forced into it somehow.  I guess an example of this in computing would be
if I chose to use 3-d rendering on my system. Since I have an nvidia
card then I currently have two choices (assuming I don't have the $ to
go buy a new card):

1) choose to use the nvidia proprietary drivers

or

2) choose to not use 3-d rendering.

So in reality, I don't have choice and my decision is forced, hence,
no freedom. And in that case I can agree with what he says (though he
should spend more time trying to explain what he means instead of just
hanging these things out there...).

But what about a situation where there is a choice between multiple
open and closed source software packages that each do the job well?
What if the particular feature set I want is implemented in a
particular way that I prefer by the closed source option? (or even, I
just arbitrarily choose the closed source one for no real reason) In
that case I am not forced to choose the closed source option, it
merely happens to be the one I choose. I could just as validly choose
the open source one and contirbute to the project in such a way that
it suits my preference better (and that is, FTR, what *I* would
choose). But that is not a case of "slavery" as there are many options
available to me, I merely have chosen one that he doesn't agree
with. That's not a slavery situation. But I also agree that this is a
fairly contrived example.

more .02