Re: prob hp colorado 5 GB on lenny - /dev/ht0 read only file system !!!

On 2 Apr at 23:05 Franck Dufau <franckdufau@free.fr> wrote in message
<[🔎] 47F40327.6030909@free.fr>

> hye all
>
> i want instal hp colorado 5 Gb on  lenny he is located in HDD
>
> at startup kernel in grub hdd=ide-scsi ok modprobe ide-tape ok
>
> ht0 is create ln -s /dev/ht0 /dev/tape ok
>
> when i try to do backup
>
> dump -0 -f /dev/ht0 /home -> cannot open output /dev/ht0 read only file
> system
>
> i do : chmod ugo+rw /dev/ht0
>
> dump -0 -f /dev/ht0 /home -> cannot open output /dev/ht0 read only file
> system

Yes, firstly, ide-scsi is not compiled in to any production kernel (don't
know about lenny, I use etch; try modprobe ide-scsi to be certain), because
it has been deprecated (see bug #467291). Therefore hdd=ide-scsi has no
effect. The tape drive would appear as /dev/st0 with ide-scsi.

Secondly, ide-tape, which should replace ide-scsi, is broken. Apart from the
bug #327355, it doesn't return some flags correctly; in particular
GMT_ONLINE is always false. I guess this is causing your error.

The solution I adopted, while arguing with the kernel maintainers, is to
build a kernel without IDE-TAPE, and with IDE-SCSI (if you leave IDE-TAPE
in, you need the hdd=ide-scsi line in your startup parameters, otherwise
ide-tape gets preference).

It's a mess...

HTH
--