Re: system is going crazy with disk-head parking

On Sunday 16 March 2008 20:51, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Mar 2008, tom arnall wrote:
> > well, I did 'hdprm -B 255' and let the thing sit overnight. The next day
> > the number of load cycles was ~300 as best I can remember. Did the same
> > thing with same results for 'hdprm -B 254'.
>
> You must make sure something else is not resetting it (like a thinkpad
> BIOS).  Search for HD APM in http://www.thinkwiki.org for details on when a
> BIOS would usually do this.  Read the linux-thinkpad mailinglist archives
> (its address is in the mailinglists page of http://www.thinkwiki.org) for
> more details.
>
> It is also useful to know which HD, and in which platform
> (motherboard/laptop) you're having problems on.  Also, make sure you are
> running the latest BIOS released by your vendor.
>
> Oh, and if it is a thinkpad HD, *check for the availability of HD firmware
> upgrades*.  Although, by now, it looks like your driver has spent >90% of
> its designed head unload lifetime, so I'd just call in for a replacement
> under warranty (complain it is making strange noises too often -- it is not
> a lie, as it will be making "click" noises due to the constant head
> unloading) if possible.

Think I solved it:

	sudo hdparm -A1 -d1 /dev/hda
	sudo hdparm -B 255 /dev/hda

Actually, I think it's just the 2nd line that does it, but at the same time
for different issues I added the first line to the script that I run right
after booting. Seems fine now. I'm not sure why this didn't work the first
time I tried it. The only thing I can think of that might be relevant is that
I did a re-install of my os (etch) about two months ago, from an os
(half-assed etch) that had numerous problems from a defective installation.

Thanks for the help,

tom arnall
arcata