Re: server security :: user accounts, ssh, passphrases, etc.

* s. keeling <keeling@nucleus.com> [080402 19:28]:
> Russell L. Harris <rlharris@oplink.net>:
> >
> If the server's compromised, you should reinstall.

My concern is not for corruption of the server.  My concern is whether
-- if I employ on the server the same password and passphrase which I
employ on the desktop (my principal machine) -- compromise of the
server necessitates that I change the password and the passphrase on
the desktop machine.

In other words, if I were to give you free access to my server, so
that you could inspect all the system files, would you be able to
deduce the password and passphrase, which are the same as those which
I use on the desktop machine?

RLH