Re: SSH through wireless router

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI <ekalin@gmail.com> writes:

> So we can assume the machines are communicating, it's just ssh that
> does not work. (It'd be interesting to try some other service,
> though.)
>
> See if there is any kind of firewall or access control, check the sshd
> configuration (try ssh'ing localhost from teufel to see if it works),
> see if ssh writes something to its log files, and also run
>
> sshd -d -p 2222

Well, this might be useful. When you say that I should try ssh
localhost, this is what I understand you to mean:

  $ ssh localhost

If I understood you correctly, then something's really amiss. So
configuration might be off. I have a configuration file for both ssh and
sshd. The ssh.config file has all defaults, except for these lines:

      Host *

      SendEnv LANG LC_*
      HashKnownHosts yes
      GSSAPIAuthentication yes
      GSSAPIDelegateCredentials no

These are some defaults:

  #   ForwardAgent no
  #   ForwardX11 no
  #   ForwardX11Trusted yes
  #   RhostsRSAAuthentication no
  #   RSAAuthentication yes

One thing strange is:

  #   IdentityFile ~/.ssh/identity
  #   IdentityFile ~/.ssh/id_rsa
  #   IdentityFile ~/.ssh/id_dsa

I have no ~/.ssh/ directory.

> and try ssh'ing to port 2222, and watch what sshd says.

When I did

  $ /usr/bin/ssh localhost:

Same for

  $ /usr/sbin/sshd localhost:

Same for root.

When I went to sshd to port 2222:

  $ sudo /usr/sbin/sshd -d -p 2222
  debug1: sshd version OpenSSH_4.3p2 Debian-9
  debug1: read PEM private key done: type RSA
  debug1: private host key: #0 type 1 RSA
  debug1: read PEM private key done: type DSA
  debug1: private host key: #1 type 2 DSA
  debug1: rexec_argv[0]='/usr/sbin/sshd'
  debug1: rexec_argv[1]='-d'
  debug1: rexec_argv[2]='-p'
  debug1: rexec_argv[3]='2222'
  debug1: Bind to port 2222 on ::.
  Server listening on :: port 2222.
  debug1: Bind to port 2222 on 0.0.0.0.

This seems like it is able to access the port OK. Does this suggest the
ssh configuration is OK? As for ssh log files, I've yet to find
them. There is no explicit ssh(d) log in /var/logs, and nothing
/etc/ssh/. None of the regular logs report any event, which I find
peculiar.

--

       Haines Brown, KB1GRM