Re: SSH through wireless router

"Eduardo M KALINOWSKI" <ekalin@gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 4:39 PM, Haines Brown <brownh@hartford-hwp.com> wrote:
>> I have a laptop (sidux on Thinkpad X61s) that connects via wi-fi to
>>  the wireless router connected to my desktop machine (etch) via CAT5,
>>  which has the name "teufel".
>>
>>  I can connect to the router, which I name "router", by:
>>
>>   $ ssh router
>>
>>  but then I'm stuck with the password. I've tried the password I use to
>>  administer the router without luck.
>>
>>  I actually don't want to connect to the router, but to the desktop using
>>  the router. The name and address of that machine on the LAN is
>>  listed in the SSH client's /etc/hosts file, and so I tried $ ssh
>>  teufel. However, I can't even connect: Connection is closed by remote host
>>
>>  Can't I access all machines connected to the router and running a SSH
>>  server merely by using those machines' names for the ssh command?

> If I undertood correctly, both machines are connected to the same
> router (it doesn't really matter if it's wireless or via cable). So
> you should, with no additional setup (except perhaps adding an entry
> in /etc/hosts, which you already have), be able to connect from one
> machine to another.

Yes, my desktop connects to the wireless router by CAT5, while the
laptop connects to the router by wifi. So I should simply be able to do
$ ssh teufel and be taken to the user's home directory on teufel, and
when prompted for PW, supply teufel user's PW. Right?

> Can you ping teufel? Can you ping its IP address directly?

Yes, I can ping both "teufel" and its IP address.

--

       Haines Brown, KB1GRM