Postfix Access Problem

Ran apt-get install postfix and then fetchmail. Fetchmail saw the messages but could not post them (and, therefore did not purge them).

tail /var/log/syslog reported /etc/mail did not contain access.db. (The relevant output is attached as post.txt.)

man access listed modifications to /etc/postfix/main.cf and /etc/postfix/access which I made. These did not correct the problem. I read all the files in /usr/share/postfix and found a reference to access on line 201 of main.cf.dist with a reference to proxymap service but I can't locate any such service.

At present I can only post to and read the list from iceape. I would much prefer to use fetchmail and mutt. mutt would have allowed me to insert the output of tail /var/log/syslog directly in this message. At the moment mutt is apparently posting to nowhere - i.e. I have two mailboxes and ask mutt to send a message from one to the other. mutt say it has been sent but it never arrives.

I previously installed postfix on another computer and it worked like a charm right out of the apt-get install.

Can anyone help me with this setup?

Mar 31 16:07:28 Phoenix identd[8050]: started
Mar 31 16:07:28 Phoenix sm-mta[8049]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(root): hash map "access": missing map file /etc/mail/access.db: No such file or directory
Mar 31 16:07:28 Phoenix sm-mta[8049]: ruleset=check_relay, arg1=localhost, arg2=, relay=tom@localhost [], reject=451 4.3.0 Temporary system failure. Please try again later.