dmesg reports connection of mass storage device but no kde pop-up nor device file created

I plugged in a USB mass storage device into my pc running Debian Unstable and unlike several months ago, did not get a notification from KDE that the device had been discovered.

dmesg reported:

usb 2-2: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 4
usb 2-2: New USB device found, idVendor=0944, idProduct=0001
usb 2-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
usb 2-2: Product: PXR4
usb 2-2: Manufacturer: KORG INC.

Is any customisation needed for udev / HAL to create a device file when this device is discovered? I'd like it to auto-mount as /mnt/usbdrive