Re: Installing GTK+

Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote in news:acQMT-4nO-25@gated-

> On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 12:05:50PM -0500, John Salmon wrote:
>> How does one go about installing GTK+ into Debian Etch using Aptitude?
> Please explain what you are trying to achieve. GTK is a library used by
> various programs. If a Debian program requires the library it will get
> installed automatically by apt(itude).
> If you want to compile some program you need some specific packages, not
> the runtime libraries, so please explain what you are trying to do.
> Regards,
> Andrei

I'm trying to compile the first program from "GTK+ 2.0 Tutorial" located in
the GNOME Documentation Library on the gnome.org website. The source code
is as follows;

#include <gtk/gtk.h>

int main(int argv, char *argv[])

    gtk_init(&argc, &argv)

    window = gtk_window_new(GTK_WINDOW_TOPLEVEL);

    return 0;

The command (also from the same place) is;
johns@peace:~/tut$ >gcc base.c 'pkg-config --cflags --libs gtk+-2.0'

The response I get from the compiler is;
gcc: pkg-config --cflags --libs gik+-2.0: no such file or directory
base.c:1:21: error: gtk/gtk.h: No such file or directory
base.c:3: error: conflicting types for 'argv'
base.c:3: error: previous definition of 'argv' was here
base.c: in function 'main':
base.c:5: error: 'GtkWidget' undeclared (first use in this function)
base.c:5: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
base.c:5: error: for each function it appears in.)
base.c:6: error: 'window' undeclared (first use in this function)
base.c:8: error: 'argc' undeclared (first use in this function)
base.c:10: error: expected ';' before 'window'
johns@peace:~/tut$ >

The first line seems to indicate that I'm missing the whole package.
John Salmon