Re: dpkg error

Michael Marsh wrote:
On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 8:43 PM, Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@shellworld.net> wrote:
This is one dpkg failed to recover from; just the relevant lines of the
 script file follow:
 Selecting previously deselected package libdjvulibre21.
 Unpacking libdjvulibre21 (from .../libdjvulibre21_3.5.20-5_i386.deb) ...
 dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libdjvulibre21_3.5.20-5_i386.deb (--unpack):
  trying to overwrite `/usr/share/djvu/osi/cs/messages.xml', which is also in package libdjvulibre15

If you've gotten to that point, presumably you have partially updated
packages that depend on those (such as evince).  What worked for me
was to do a
$ dpkg -r libdjvulibre15
followed by a normal run of aptitude.  Removing the old library
doesn't cause evince to be removed, because the new version is already
there, just broken.

YMMV.

Really?  I would have done this:

dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/libdjvulibre21_3.5.20-5_i386.deb

which ignores the fact that another file also wants to "own" that

/usr/share/djvu/osi/cs/messages.xml

However, I see your reasoning.  Assuming that libdjvulibre15 is NOT needed since you are updating to libjvulibre21.

However, if anything is deping on libdjvulibre15, you just un-installed it.

I only posted this for the benefit of anybody who wants to "know" how to get dpkg to handle such things.

You (the person who thinks this is a cool option) might want to read  dpkg --force-help to find out all the things you can "force" and all the breakage that can happen.

After having warned you, I have never caused breakage from using this option and a few others as needed.

You mostly need this command switch (dpkg --force-option) if you run into issues doing a dist-upgrade and dpkg gets stuck

Note to Ron Johnson:  is this happening a lot?  I did not see any posts on this.

HTH

--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com