Re: Debian is losing its users

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 01:23:11PM +0800, Wei Chen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am somewhat disappointed that when you see that post, what most of
> you, if not all, reply to argue that the decrease of search volume does
> not indicate the loss of users, rather than thinking of ideas for
> something that can be done to help, which was the original motivation of
> the post.
>
> Even if the losing of users is not proportional to the decrease of
> search volume, there is a high probability that they are positively
> correlated. I hope some of you are willing to think of some constructive
> ideas for that. And in the meanwhile you may want to stop this
> meaningless dispute.

you started this meaningless dispute by posting ideas that are clearly
without merit: a single data point showing the *relative* level of
search volume in a growing search pool is evidence of nothing having
to do with the number of debian users. Sure it *could* correlate, but
as Joey Hess pointed out with the popcon statistics, it clearly
*doesn't*.

So since your original premise that debian is losing users is clearly
false based on the evidence there is nothing more to discuss.

Here is an example that more clearly demonstrates the situation: Let's
say you come running out of the house claiming it's on fire. We all
run into the house and looking around find no fire. We report back
that there is no fire. Then you respond by saying "what are you going
to do about the fire" at which point we all walk away.

best regards,