Re: Alsa Problems with new Etch

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 10:30:49AM -0400, alan@patriot.net wrote:
> Assembled Wisdom!
>
> As mentioned here in a different thread, I pursued, perhaps
> idiosyncratically,
> the goal of upgrading from sarge to etch, and have now for the most part
> a successful etch system.  My biggest remaining problem is ALSA.  I believe
> it to be successfully installed, since I used the same installation path
> that I had done earlier with my sarge.  It seems to be installed but I
> get no SOUND, although aplay <a .wav file> seems to be going through the
> motions.  I have run alsamixer and bumped up the volume.  My apparatus
> seems OK, since I get a honk from the speakers when booting.  (And, as
> mentioned, my sound worked fine last week and before, when I was
> using sarge)
>
> Here is the result of my call to aplay -l :
> card 0: rev50 [VIA 82C686A/B rev50], device 0: VIA 82C686A/B rev50 [VIA
> 82C686A/B rev50]
>   Subdevices: 1/1
>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>
> alsa* and alsa-utils* are entries in my /etc/init.d/ , and I get no
> sign of any error while booting.

Alsa has gone through some changes. And though I'm no expert at all,
you should likely provide us with some additional information to help
you on the way. Please provide the output of

dpkg -l \*alsa\*

and

lsmod | grep snd

and the relevant portion of (that is, the sound device portion)

lspci -vv

Also, you may want to try running alsaconf and see what that does...