Re: Silent Cron Jobs

Hi,

afaik cron (by default) mails all output from a script. If i create a
cronjob I usually dump all stdout (just redirect it to /dev/null)
But I want to be informed of any errors so I keep stderr.

example:

# this will get mailed
echo "My cool cron script"

 # this will not mail stdout, but stderr (see below for an example)
echo "My cooler cron script" > /dev/null

# this will send you a mail because there was output on stderr, if
there was output on stdout it wouldn't mail
/nonexistant/echo "My failing cron script" > /dev/null

Not this is untested and just a quick writeup but the general rule should apply

hth
martin