Re: What's heppening to Debian? Mono?

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 14:08:39 -0400, machiner wrote:
> All apologies, I posted this earlier to the wrong list.
>
> Won't someone please tell me why Debian is installing mono by default with the
> installation of Gnome on Lenny?
>
> Tue Mar 25, 12:13 # aptitude install gnome

[...]

>   mono-common{a} mono-gac{a} mono-jit{a} mono-runtime{a}

>   tomboy{a}
>
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>   abiword{a}
> 0 packages upgraded, 262 newly installed, 1 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
> Need to get 54.5MB/283MB of archives. After unpacking 780MB will be used.

Run aptitude with "-D" to get a bit more information about dependencies.
Even better, use the glorious "aptitude why(-not)" command:

$ aptitude why mono-runtime
i   xwine           Depends  libgnomeui32 (>= 1.4.2-3)
i A libgnomeui32    Depends  gnome-libs-data (= 1.4.2-37)
i A gnome-libs-data Depends  gnome-bin
i A gnome-bin       Suggests gnome-core
p   gnome-core      Depends  gnome-applets (>= 2.20.0)
p   gnome-applets   Suggests tomboy
p   tomboy          Depends  mono-runtime (>= 1.1.8.1)

It seems that tomboy would be to blame on my system. You result may be
different, of course.

>   gamin: Conflicts: fam but 2.7.0-13.1 is to be installed.
> Resolving dependencies...
> The following actions will resolve these dependencies:
>
> Keep the following packages at their current version:
> fam [Not Installed]
>
> Leave the following dependencies unresolved:
> gnome-desktop-environment recommends fam
> gnome-screensaver recommends rss-glx
> nautilus recommends fam
> Score is -541
>
> Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?] HELL NO!

Why not? The unresolved dependencies are only recommendations and gamin
largely (or even completely?) replaces fam, AFAIK.

          Florian   |