Re: windows partition not usable

On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 22:45:05 +0000, Hans-Gerhard Schrick wrote:
> # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
> #
> proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
> /dev/hda4       /               reiserfs notail          0       1
> /dev/hda3       none            swap    sw              0       0
> /dev/hdc        /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto     0       0
> /dev/hda2       /mnt/win        fat32  rw,noauto            0 	0
> Here is my /etc/fstab. I don't remember, whether I wrote the last line
> by myself. But with the program testdisk partition 2 is a FAT32 LBA.
>
> TestDisk 6.5, Data Recovery Utility, October 2006
> Christophe GRENIER http://www.cgsecurity.org
>
> Disk /dev/hda - 100 GB / 93 GiB - CHS 12161 255 63
> Current partition structure:
>      Partition                  Start        End    Size in sectors
>  1 P Compaq Diagnostics       0   1  1   381 254 63    6136767
>  2 * FAT32 LBA              382   0  1  6239 254 63   94108770 [ACER]
>  3 P Linux Swap            6240   0  1  6435 254 63    3148740
>  4 P Linux                 6436   0  1 12160 254 63   91972125
>
> Perhaps you know now, how I can bring my windows partition to work.

It is not clear to me what you mean by "work". If you fix your fstab
entry like Andrei has explained then you will be able to access the
files on the Windows partition from Linux. You will not be able to run
your Windows applications under Linux directly.

> really only need it for dragon naturally speaking and cdex. I haven't
> tried grip yet.

Dragon Naturally Speaking and CDex seem to be windows-only applications.
Can you still use these applications under Windows right now? When you
start the computer you should get a menu which gives you the choice to
boot either Linux or Windows. Does this work or do you need help with
getting Windows to boot again?

To actually run Windows applications under Linux, you can try installing
wine (which is packaged in Debian). Wine is an implementation of the
Windows API under Linux. How well it works changes from one application
to another. Here is what they say on their website about the two
programs that you mentioned:

http://www.google.com/search?q=dragon&domains=www.winehq.org&sitesearch=www.winehq.org
http://www.google.com/search?q=cdex&domains=www.winehq.org&sitesearch=www.winehq.org

Another option is using a VM (virtual machine, a software emulation of a
whole computer system) and installing Windows and these applications in
the VM environment. Is that what you want to do?

          Florian   |