Complaint from Xfce[GNOME] and Debian Reference

Douglas & others,

dt> Does it[/etc/hosts] work?

Yes.  No problems evident.

dt> Read the debian-reference.

Yes, http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-gateway.en.html
and http://wiki.debian.org/DebianReference/Network
explain things not in "man hosts".

In particular, I was on the wrong track about
the complaint from Xfce[GNOME].  resolvconf
doesn't settle it.  In addition to the first line
"127.0.0.1 ..." I need
"127.0.1.1 joule.petershouse.invalid joule".
Actually the html document doesn't mention the
<domain_name> but the wiki does.  So the wiki
document is the best authority here.

dt> Do you have any firewall doing network address translation?  If you want
fire-and-forget just use ipmasq, if you want to really understand it use
shorewall after reading shorewall-doc.

ipmasq has been running on joule for a few years
and even on the 486 predecessor.  shorewall will
run first on one of two almost identical
machines.  If I make a real snarl on the shorewall
machine, the sister machine can substitute until
the problem is solved.

dt> What about supplying DNS services to your network?  The easiest is to
install dnsmasq.

The subordinate systems refer to upstream dns
servers with static addresses.  dnsmasq works
on another linux router which I just gave to
a brother.

dt> I don't know what this line
[Desktops.OpenDoc  http://carnot.yi.org/] is for.

The message "signature".  OK, I've demarcated
it better.

Thanks,        ... Peter E.

========Epilogue or Signature========
Desktops.OpenDoc  http://carnot.yi.org/