associating names and addresses

Douglas & anyone else interested,

At Sun, 16 Mar 2008 20:12:44 -0400 Douglas Tutty wrote,
>> # /etc/hosts file
>> 127.0.0.1       peasthope.yi.org        joule   localhost
>                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>    this should be: localhost.localdomain	localhost
>
>if you don't own peasthope.yi.org, then I wouldn't use it even locally.

I recalled why I associated the machine name
joule with 127.0.0.1.  There is a message in
the debian-user archive timestamped
Thu, 11 Jan 2007 11:56:19 -0800 with subject
"complaint from Xfce about address configuration".

Summarizing briefly, the system was working with
a static address and did not have resolvconf
installed.  Then /etc/network/interfaces was
changed to use dhcp.  Xfce then complained as
specified in the message cited above and
suggested "... adding computer to /etc/hosts
on your system."  A reply to my query chastised
slightly for asking here rather than in the
Xfce ML and suggested "hostname 127.0.0.1".

So I put the host name with 127.0.0.1 and Xfce
stopped complaining.  Much later I installed
resolvconf and made no connection to the earlier
problem.

Conclusion
Well now I see that the correct solution to
the original problem was to leave /etc/hosts
with the line
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
and install resolvconf.  Unfortunately, this
was not recognized at the time and the message
from Xfce was misleading.

Some maintainers work at their documentation
and have complete and accurate man pages.
Other documentation has abysmal deficiencies
and errors.  This is probably the worst
shortcoming of Debian at this time.

Best regards,       ... Peter E.

Desktops.OpenDoc  http://carnot.yi.org/