Re: Adding a ttyS

On Mon, 24 Mar 2008, Jean Létourneau wrote:

Goo day,

How do I add a /dev/rrtS?  I have 6 physical com port on my machine, but
Debian only see 4 of them. I use the command MAKEDEV but they do not
appear in the /dev, only in the /dev/.static/dev, I tryed to copy them
from /dev.static/dev to the /dev, but still, my setserial keep saying my
ttySx do not exist.

'mknod' is the command you are looking for. I believe you'd want to issue the following commands (as root, of course) to create the additional /dev/ttyS4 and /dev/ttyS5 device files you desire.

# mknod /dev/ttyS4 -m 660 c 4 68
# mknod /dev/ttyS5 -m 660 c 4 69

Then I'd change the group to dialout to be consistant with the other ttyS* file configuration.