chatty mouse?

I just switched to using a Kensington 2 button + scrollwheel optical
mouse, connected by usb.  I switched to a new LCD monitor at the same
time.

Previous config was a a Logitech 2 button + scroll mechanical mouse
connected via psaux, with a CRT monitor.

I suspect that something is generating ongoing activity, because
1)the monitor (Samsung Syncmaster 245T) never goes into a deep sleep.
However, the screensaver does come on, which somewhat contradicts my
theory.
2) rsibreak, under KDE, acts as if there is activity.  rsibreak is a
little applet that interrupts every few minutes to tell you to take a
quick break.  Now, when it starts counting down to time the break, it
often resets to the top count (20 seconds) a few times after counting
down a second or two, and then it switches to showing pictures that
cover the whole screen.  It used to do this only if there was activity
during the break period.
3) Finally, rsibreak sometimes tells me to take a break soon after I
come back to the keyboard.  It should realize the system is idle and
reset the clocks.

However,....

It's possible rsibreak is just malfunctioning (it was acting a little
funky before the hardware changes) and that 1) has some other
explanation.

I ran xev and it did *NOT* produce any evidence of mouse events when I
had my hands off the mouse.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Ross

------------ xorg.conf snippets -------------------
Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"Configured Mouse"
	Driver		"mouse"
	Option		"CorePointer"
# used to have	Option		"Device"		"/dev/psaux"
	Option		"Protocol"		"Auto"
	Option		"Emulate3Buttons"	"true"
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"nvidia"
	Driver		"nvidia"
	BusID		"PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier "Samsung245T"
	Option	   "DPMS"
	DisplaySize	518.4 324.0
EndSection
The open source nv driver does not work with my
nVidia Corporation NV43 [GeForce 6600 LE] (rev a2)