change tk fonts, how?

Tk (as of 8.4) uses a different (smaller, lighter) font for message boxes ---
including error messages --- than for the rest of the widgets, at least by
default.  I have always thought this was a cosmetic glitch, but now I have
a huge screen at work and the message font has become simply unreadable.
How can I reconfigure tk to use the ubiquitous bold Helvetica for message
boxes too?

I owned the Osterhout book at one time but IIRC it didn't answer this either.
TIA for help, Ian

--
His stride expressed the man's pride and self-confidence
and his eyes revealed his honest simplicity.