Re: RAID suggestions?

On 2008-03-19, Michael S. Peek penned:

> This would be fine, I don't really care if it's a hardware or
> software RAID, although it seems like a waste of money to buy a
> hardware RAID card just to use as a dense SATA controller.  Is there
> such a thing as a SATA controller just for lots of drives?  One that
> supports, say, 8 or more drives and is supported by the linux kernel
> out of the box?  All I really want is to be able to have big-time
> data density in a single machine.

Commentary from my husband, who is a storage geek:

[quote]
Mine is relatively small... only a 4-port setup, 2 internal/2 external.

For native linux support, the LSI MegaRAID controllers are open source
and part of the kernel, there's no 3rd party driver to install.

Something like this has 8 internal SAS/SATA ports and is about $300.
It appears to be out of stock, not sure if it's been replaced by
something else or is just a big seller:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816118092

You'll want at least one PCIe lane for every two drives as a minimum
for decent performance.  A 4-port PCI-e x1 controller card is cheap,
but can't get anywhere close to saturating 4 disks.

[/quote]

--
monique

Help us help you: