Re: RAID suggestions?

On Tue March 18 2008 12:56:00 Michael S. Peek wrote:
> But now I'm looking to build replacement servers and I thought I would
> ask what the community uses for it's hardware RAID, and why?

We use "nothing" for hardware RAID.  Software RAID is much more
flexible.  With hardware RAID you always need to have a spare
controller on hand, because without a matching replacement
controller you can't retrieve your data after a controller failure.

The downside of software RAID is that it is slower when rebuilding.
However rebuilding is so rare that this is not a significant issue
for us.

However if you're doing RAID-5 you're seriously exposed to data loss
from double drive failures, and a faster rebuild can help to reduce
that window of vulnerability.  We've stopped using RAID-5.  We use
RAID-1 (3-way in some applications) to make LVM physical volumes.

--Mike Bird