Re: Idea of a Debian Mascot [Was: FW: Bits from the DPL: FTP assistants, marketing team, init scripts, elections]

On Mar 9, 2008, at 8:05 PM, Paul Johnson wrote:

On Wednesday 27 February 2008 06:06:37 pm Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 09:41:24PM +0200, Andrei Popescu wrote:
----- Forwarded message from Sam Hocevar <leader@debian.org> -----

I also would like to spend some Debian money on a contest, similar to the FreeBSD logo contest [2], to create a friendly mascot for the Debian project (in a similar way to the Linux penguin or the GNU gnu) that we
can use where the logo is not enough. More on this in a few days.

The Debian Swirl reminds me of some kind of worm or shellfish.

The Debian HookWorm?
The Debian RingWorm? Digs into your Sole (Soul)? Lord of the RingWorm?
The Debian Tapeworm?  Makes you hungry for more!

The Debian Krill?  (Eaten by Puffy?)

If it's a bear, I'd be happy to provide the live mascot for conventions if
someone picks up travel costs!

I would like to see a bear logo. Not a care bear, but something like a grizzly bear. I think the temperament of the grizzly suits Debian: it rules the world for a few months and then goes into hibernation. (I'm suggesting this is a good thing). It doesn't need to eat half its body weight every day, like a bird. i.e.: It doesn't lust after the latest and greatest "features" or obsess about its plumage.

So in the grizzly bear you have a creature that is soft and furry but can also rip your head off.

Bogart