Re: Idea of a Debian Mascot [Was: FW: Bits from the DPL: FTP assistants, marketing team, init scripts, elections]

On Wednesday 27 February 2008 08:44:57 pm Hal Vaughan wrote:
> On Wednesday 27 February 2008, Rich Healey wrote:
>
> > Many of my windows using mates are at least familiar with Tux, even
> > though many have only ever used linux at my place (and then only
> > using firefox to check email, hardly the grandest most eye opening
> > event).
>
> Debian is not aimed at the same audiences as those distros.  If it were,
> then there'd be no need for those other distros.

I believe it is, by intention.  If it wasn't, I seriously doubt Debian would
have anywhere near the number of packages, particularly desktop-related
packages.  Debian seems to be the "run anywhere, do anything" distro.  And
you're right, there's not really much point in other distros existing at this
point.

> > Debian could use an image revamp, last night i was messing with a
> > debian install disk trying to get driver information for a NIC in my
> > solaris machine, and honestly even with the (non-default) GUI, it's
> > hardly impressive.
>
> There is a revamped image with a new logo and an easy to use GUI
> installer one can use if Debian is an issue.  It's a fairly large
> project.  Here's a link to it:
>
> http://ubuntu.com.
>
> (I notice, when checking that home page that it seems like it's been
> taken over by Dell.)

I'm not sure pointing people towards a commercial redistributor of the same is
a good or particularly healthy thing.  Granted, many DD's are also UDs, but
what does Canonical or Dell do for Debian beyond lip-service, anyway?

> If you want a friendly GUI and a nifty and easy install, go for another
> distro.  There's a reason there's so many distros out there and it's
> too much to ask for one distro to try to hit more than one or two
> focused markets.

Like Debian's "Just hit Enter a dozen times" method could possibly get any
easier.  Even Windows is an order of magnitude more difficult to install.

--
Paul Johnson
baloo@ursine.ca