Re: Ssh connection hangs. Ignored ACK packet?

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 02:49:21PM +0100, Bernardo Dal Seno wrote:
> I have intermittent problems in transferring files between two
> machines via scp. Symptomps are: when transferring a large file from
> the server to the client, scp transfers a few Kbytes and then says
> "stalled".

> What is possibly going wrong?
>
> Searching with Google didn't help me.  I've found only very old posts
> (more than 2-3 years ago) or problems with MTU discovery.  Any help is
> appreciated, as I don't know how to handle this.

> Additional information.
>
> The server is a desktop AMD Sempron running an Ssh server, with a
> public IP, behind a firewall; the client is an AMD Duron connected to
> a DSL line and is double NATted (NAT is used by my ISP, and I have a
> NATting firewall between my local lan and a non-NATting DSL router).

MTU is my standard WAG for this kind of thing, having had problems in
the distant past.  interfaces(5) should show how to set the MTU for
the interface; on my local box behind a DSL line I have:

  auto eth0
  iface eth0 inet static
          address 192.168.1.5
          netmask 255.255.255.0
          network 192.168.1.0
          gateway 192.168.1.1
          broadcast 192.168.1.255
          mtu 1452

ifconfig(8) should show the MTU value, and maybe can be used to set it.
I was able to set the MTU using ip(8), so it should be pretty easy to
test, e.g.:

  $ sudo ip link set eth0 mtu 1452

Ken

--