Re: system is going crazy with disk-head parking

On Sun, 16 Mar 2008, tom arnall wrote:
> well, i did 'hdprm -B 255' and let the thing sit overnight. the next day the
> number of load cycles was ~300 as best i can remember. did the same thing
> with same results for 'hdprm -B 254'.

You must make sure something else is not resetting it (like a thinkpad
BIOS).  Search for HD APM in http://www.thinkwiki.org for details on when a
BIOS would usually do this.  Read the linux-thinkpad mailinglist archives
(its address is in the mailinglists page of http://www.thinkwiki.org) for
more details.

It is also useful to know which HD, and in which platform
(motherboard/laptop) you're having problems on.  Also, make sure you are
running the latest BIOS released by your vendor.

Oh, and if it is a thinkpad HD, *check for the availability of HD firmware
upgrades*.  Although, by now, it looks like your driver has spent >90% of
its designed head unload lifetime, so I'd just call in for a replacement
under warranty (complain it is making strange noises too often -- it is not
a lie, as it will be making "click" noises due to the constant head
unloading) if possible.

  Henrique Holschuh